5 Easy Ways for Plus Size Women in Their 50’s to Embrace Fashion
<a href=”http://sixtyandme.com/5-easy-ways-for-plus-size-women-in-their-50s-to-embrace-fashion/”>A version of this post first appeared on 60 & Me.</a>
Your sense of fashion is like fine wine. It’s really catching its stride when you hit your 50s.
That’s true for plus size women, too. If you’re in your 50s now, you may have struggled with negativity about your body all your life.
Don’t waste another day on negative thoughts. Instead, embrace fashion – right now. Make your 50s your most beautiful years ever. If you’re just getting started or want to mix up your plus size style, these 5 tips are sure to help.
Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to find creative, fashionable pieces in local department and clothing stores. Few cater to plus size women, and even those that do tend to have limited selections.
The beauty of shopping online is that you can do it from anywhere in the world, whenever you want. If you’re still a bit nervous about shopping online, uncertain about finding the right fit, or concerned about exchanges and returns, then first:
- Check the store’s sizing guide.
- Contact the retailer directly before you buy if you’re unsure about what size to get.
- Review the store’s return and exchange policy before checkout.
- Don’t be afraid to try small online retailers. These boutique stores often have the best options for plus size clothing.
Expand Your Color Palette
Don’t fear color. If you’re a die-hard all-black fashionista, go with that. But if you’re just hiding behind black because of years of body shaming, it’s time to break free. Do your own thing – don’t be forced into the darkness by negativity.
- New to the idea of bright colors? Worried they’ll clash with your wardrobe or you’ll end up with pieces you can’t put together? Here’s how to make it work:
- Keep your outfit neutral overall, then add one splash of color. It could be black pants and underrated black shoes with a blue, teal, or red plus size cardigan.
- Start simple by introducing color into your wardrobe with accessories (more on that later).
- Focus on building a wardrobe with similar tones that you love and work with your complexion. You might prefer earth tones, jewel tones, or pastels.
Get Creative with Accessories
The little touches you add to your outfits make all the difference. Fall and winter lend themselves to accessories especially well, but you use can these pieces to enhance your style all year long.
Don’t limit yourself – you’ll look just as amazing in colorful, chunky jewelry as you do in shiny gold. Plus size women in their 50s have no reason to hold back their creative style. Here are a few ways simple accessories can really make your ensembles come together:
Dressing Up? Simple chain necklaces and bracelets work well. Try dangling earrings with a splash of color that coordinates with your outfit. A bright silk scarf can offset your simple dress attire and create a beautiful look.
Going Casual? Chunky jewelry in bold colors is perfect with simple, casual plus size clothing.
Stand Out! You don’t have to be matchy-matchy with your outfit and accessories. As long as the colors are complementary, you’ll look great.
Big and Bold. Some plus size women stay away from bold, chunky accessories. But you’re a gorgeous woman in your 50s – you’ve got nothing to fear! Big, bold, colorful accessories will coordinate beautifully with your outfits.
Choose Standout Patterns
Just like too many neutral colors can make your wardrobe seem dull, so can the same simple patters and prints. Break free and get bold in your 50s with plus size clothing in creative prints. These are just a few that may work for you:
- Batik – This ancient, unique design creates one of a kind garments. You can’t go wrong in plus size clothing with handmade batik touches.
- Tie-Dye – Colorful, fun, and unique, tie-dye is perfect for a beautiful woman who wants to show off her style.
- Abstract – You don’t have to go floral or geometric just to have an interesting print. Abstract patterns draw the eye, keep your outfit interesting, and work in both casual and dressier settings.
Get Social with Your Fashion
Have you ever felt isolated as a fashionable plus size woman? Like you stand out and people won’t appreciate your beauty?
You’re not alone. If you don’t have lots of people with whom to share your love of fashion where you are – and even if you do – get inspired and feel good about plus size fashion through social media.
There are plenty of gorgeous plus size women in their 50s showing off their personal style on social media. Send them a positive comment when you love a photo. Share your own. And get new ideas about how to expand your wardrobe.
These are just a few ways to get excited about plus size fashion in your 50s. If you’re new to the idea of bold, standout outfits, use these ideas to get started.
Stephen, Your Designer
“There is an amazing feeling of artistic accomplishment when all the parts come together into one harmonious aesthetic. It's a connection with who you are and the elements you choose to express yourself visually. This is what making clothing is all about for me. It's like when a songwriter hears his first written notes from a voice or a baker who has practiced a recipe and nails it or a figure skater who exceeds her own expectations. I express my sense of art in clothing. I see things in color, shape and texture. I react to the touch of silk on my skin and my eyes are aware of how color combinations make me feel. My goal is to bring all of these intuitive notions to garments that are sized for larger women. If I can accomplish this then I have reached my goal.” – Stephen